Labels

Thursday, September 11, 2014

Country Roads.....


We are in the middle of a long and busy school term.  The children are working hard and have so much homework and extra projects to do.  They are tired and ratty and I can’t say I blame them.

We are all taking a bit of strain and desperately need a holiday.  We have booked our December trip and are eagerly looking forward to it, but December feels so very far away.

My favourite destination is always the Drakensberg region.  There is just something about the wide open spaces; the towering mountains; the fresh country air; and the seemingly slower pace of life; that feeds my soul.


As there is very little chance of a getaway in our immediate future, I took a little meander through photographs of holidays past.  It is lovely to look at the scenic images, close my eyes and imagine myself there again.  Sigh.  A virtual mini-holiday of sorts.







I don’t know what it is about the Drakensberg area, but whenever I am there, I get the feeling that I am home.  I guess it’s a yearning for a simpler life, surrounded by beautiful scenery, that is satisfied in the foothills of those mountains.  I often dream of one day buying a farm out there and living off the land, with nowhere to be and no deadlines to meet.  But for now, I must be satisfied with my hectic suburban life and our periodic visits to the countryside.




How about you?  Where do you go to nourish your soul?  Are there any places that you feel a strong connection with?  I'd love to know.


No comments:

Post a Comment