Labels

Friday, September 19, 2014

A Tourist in my own Town...part 2

Right, so yesterday I posted the first installment of "A Tourist in my own Town" and here, as promised is the second….

Day Two:
We had so thoroughly enjoyed our last trip down to Durban that, a few days later, we donned our Tourist caps again and headed down the hill. This time I was super-organised and had compiled a List.
   
Our first stop was Mini Town.  I couldn't believe it was still there.  I can remember going there as a child.  We thoroughly enjoyed walking around and admiring the intricate detail and familiar buildings. 






Watching the game!

City Hall.



Utterly necessary re-enactment of Godzilla

Next, we visited the Old Court House Museum.  This too, brought back many fond memories of my childhood.  We used to visit quite a lot with my aunt and my favourite was the exhibit of all the clothing and outfits from a bygone era.  Disappointingly, these exhibits are all gone.  In fact, the entire downstairs was pretty much empty.  I guess the powers that be were not too keen on all the remnants from colonialism and got rid of them.  Fair enough, I suppose.  Heading upstairs (in the old fashioned lift!!) I was delighted to see that this section had remained mostly the same.  A depiction of West Street back in the day, complete with saddle resting on the balustrade of Miss Fann’s Haberdashery.


I presume this is Miss Fann.........

Ye Olde Pharmacy


Inside the Clairmont Sugar Mill exhibit.  I don't mind telling you that as I walked in, rounded the corner and saw this dude sitting there, I jumped out of my skin.  Was a bit creepy actually.

Below is a picture of Henry Francis Fynn's cottage.  Shows the kind of rustic conditions the first settlers had to deal with.  I pointed out the lack of wifi - the children were scandalised.


Heading next door to the majestic City Hall Building, we climbed the vast staircase and entered the Natural Science Museum.  The children were mesmerised by all the animal exhibits, collections of eggs, insects and, not forgetting, the giant dinosaur!

Look out boys....there's something behind you.

All of this history and information gathering was hungry work.  So, off we set for Ushaka Beach (see how we've come full circle?) and down the pier to Moyo.

We love this place.  It is perched at the end of a long pier, so is surrounded by the ocean.  We sat out on the edge of the pier, sipping our “Mocktails”, watching the waves, and feeling very much like we were on a cruise ship.  


Until the wind got a bit much and we relocated inside for the very serious business of eating.  The food here is really good.  Not the cheapest place to eat, I’ll grant you, but well worth it.  The snoek pate, in particular, is my favourite.  We ordered a selection of yummy goodies and then sampled a little of everything.  Yum.



 Since African Cuisine is the order of the day at Moyo, they also come around and paint your paint. (Natch.)  Very touristy.  And since we were being tourists, we went all in.


 A leisurely stroll back to the car, and then we headed for home.  Tired, wind-swept but oh so happy.

Going away on holiday is lovely.  But sometimes, you can have just as much fun being a tourist in your own town.




No comments:

Post a Comment